WellesleyWeston Magazine

FALL 2012

Launched in 2005, WellesleyWeston Magazine is a quarterly publication tailored to Wellesley and Weston residents and edited to enrich the experience of living in two of Massachusetts' most desirable communities.

Issue link: http://wellesleywestonmagazine.epubxp.com/i/78488

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 144 of 211

ronment in which [people] lose control over the ability to regulate intake." Freeman recommends that consumers look closely at labels for added sugars, which can hide in food under a variety of names. Watch for words such as high fructose corn syrup, white sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, corn syrup solids, raw sugar, malt syrup, maple syrup, pancake syrup, fructose sweetener, liq- uid fructose, honey, molasses, anhydrous dex- trose, crystal dextrose, and agave nectar. Here are some other tips to cutting down the sugar in your diet: n PROBABLY MOST IMPORTANT, stay away from sugary drinks, which are the major sources of sugar in American's diets. These include soda, sports drinks, and sweetened iced tea. Instead try club soda or sparkling water. n STICK WITH naturally occurring sugars, such as those found in fruit and dairy products, to satisfy your sweet tooth. For a sweeter natural choice pick unsweetened dried fruit. n AVOID fat-free or low-fat foods, which tend to contain a lot of sugar. n SHOP ON THE PERIMETER of the grocery store to buy foods such as fresh vegetables, fruit, fish, eggs, and dairy. More processed foods tend to be in the center of the store, says Dr. Steppel-Reznik. n FOLLOW THE 90/10 RULE, says Nikolakopoulos. Try to make healthy choices 90 percent of the time and allow yourself to cheat the other 10 percent of the time. 143 n ACCORDING TO FREEMAN, if you are going to eat a sweet, try to accompany it with a protein. For example, have nuts on ice cream. Getting rid of or lowering sugar in our diets may not be easy. However, according to Dr. Cheung, who has written a book on mindful eating, if we start paying closer attention to what we are eating and buying at the grocery store, we're taking a good first step. fall 2012 | WellesleyWeston Magazine

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of WellesleyWeston Magazine - FALL 2012