WellesleyWeston Magazine

SUMMER 2013

Launched in 2005, WellesleyWeston Magazine is a quarterly publication tailored to Wellesley and Weston residents and edited to enrich the experience of living in two of Massachusetts' most desirable communities.

Issue link: http://wellesleywestonmagazine.epubxp.com/i/128547

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 77 of 207

1932 1949 Weston's third high school opens 242. The Weston Saddle and Bridle Club had a Clark's Dairy operated from the early 20th century through the 1950s 251. Ward Carter served as town administrator for 52 years 1947 Sweeping zoning by-law revisions in 1937 riding complex on Conant Road including a large established A, B, and C residential districts. For the barn and indoor and outdoor rings. first time, lots were required to have minimum street frontage. 243. Riverside Golf Course, now Leo J. Martin, opened in 1930 as one of two public courses with- 252. in the metropolitan park system. worked for a week to clear the roads of fallen trees. After the Hurricane of 1938, 12 men An estimated 275 million trees were lost in New 244. Cambridge School for Girls, located in Cat Rock Ski Club founded England. Cambridge, opened a progressive coeducational 245. 253. The J.H. Clark Dairy on Golden Ball Road 259. was the last to operate in Weston, through the 1950s. upper school on Lexington Street in 1931. and women served in the armed forces during The one-room schoolhouse #4 on North Five hundred and twenty-five Weston men World War II. Twenty-one were killed or missing. Avenue was the last of Weston's six district schools 254. to close, at the end of the 1931-32 school year. mink farm, located on North Avenue near the For more than 30 years, Weston had a Civilian Defense enrolled more than 900 volunteers. Lincoln line. At its peak in the 1950s, the operator 246. What is now Brook School Building C opened in 1932 as Weston's third high school 260. kept 400 to 500 minks in small pens in the woods lected 79,000 milkweed pods, enough to equip 66 along Stony Brook. servicemen with life jackets. In 1944, Weston High School students col- building. 247. 255. In 1934, 19 authorized Weston milk dealers The Trapelo Golf Club operated a nine-hole 261. In 1945, the town owned less than 50 "semi public" golf course at North Avenue and acres of protected open space. Thirty years later, sold 39 grades of milk, four of which were raw Lexington Street from 1931 to 1951. The land was an additional 1,300 acres had been preserved. (unpasteurized) milk. redeveloped as the Kendal Common neighborhood. 248. 256. In the mid-1930s Weston had three dumps, located at the present site and also on South Street 262. In 1943, the town marked its first decade without a case of diphtheria. and on Ash Street. 249. Cat Rock Ski Club was formed in 1947. Membership fees were used to operate a rope tow on weekends and holidays, provided there was enough snow. A daily ticket cost $1.00. 257. Marian Case willed her property to Harvard's Arnold Arboretum in 1944. It was 263. Thompson's (corner of South Avenue and Winter renamed the Case Estates and used for plant prop- cattle, 433 swine, 96 horses, and 4,893 chickens. Street), Louis Dean's (upper Conant Road), and agation and experimentation until the 1990s. Weston had three piggeries: Walter 264. We l l e s l e y We s t o n M a g a z i n e | s u m m e r 2 0 1 3 the Dean piggery on the Wayland-Weston town line. 250. 258. The first public kindergarten opened in 1936. In total, sisters Marian and Louisa Case In 1947, Weston still had 47 farms with 438 The Friendly Society produced original musicals for decades. Competitions were held. For willed 202 acres to the Arnold Arboretum, of which years, no fewer than four full-length musical shows 75 acres was transferred to the Town of Weston in were submitted. 1947 and the late 1950s for construction of a new high school (now Field), Country, and Woodland 265. Schools. ing seasonal flowers in the watering trough in the The Weston Garden Club has been plant- town center since Memorial Day 1948. 76

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of WellesleyWeston Magazine - SUMMER 2013